newspaint

Documenting Problems That Were Difficult To Find The Answer To

Category Archives: Microsoft

Windows 10 TCP/Internet Slow With Chrome and OpenWRT Router

So I was having issues getting a Windows 10 laptop running Google Chrome connected via wifi to a router running OpenWRT Chaos Calmer 15.05.1.

The Windows 10 laptop would take a long time to establish a connection and then a long time for any data to transfer at an incredibly slow rate.

At first I thought it was Google Chrome but downloaded Firefox and was still having the same issues.

There are many proposed solutions but the commands that appeared to make a magical difference and instantly speed things up were:

netsh interface tcp show global
netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

At this stage things did not magically get better.

Then I tried:

netsh interface tcp show heuristics
netsh interface tcp set heuristics enabled

Now the Internet suddenly got quicker.

To undo these changes (if they don’t work for you):

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=normal
netsh interface tcp set heuristics disabled

Also, because I messed around with the MTU on the WiFi interface I had to run the following to restore things to a relatively normal default:

netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface “WiFi” mtu=1458 store=persistent

Microsoft Don’t Do Information

In my experience over the years Microsoft products, from Operating Systems to Servers, routinely neglect to inform the user why something has gone wrong. In fact sometimes Microsoft, when they rarely attempt to be helpful, appear to go out of their way to give a wrong error message – which completely will confuse you!

I bought a new laptop which had Windows 8 pre-installed. I also have a friend with Windows 8.1. Both this laptops have had the same problem: the WiFi connection will show up as “limited” (and not work) with ordinary routers that every other WiFi device has no problems connecting to (such as phones, and other laptops running other Operating Systems such as Ubuntu, Windows 7).

The WiFi “limited” issue is the reason why I formatted my laptop and replaced the OS with Xubuntu. I’ve not had any WiFi issues since. It is also the reason why I’ll never purchase another Microsoft Operating System for home use in my lifetime.

It’s not just that Microsoft have seemingly broken ordinary WiFi connectivity. That’s a grave enough error in a modern Operating System. But the more severe error is that Windows 8/8.1 will just show the connection as “limited” without any description as to why. A reason might just help a poor customer diagnose the fault. Is it an inability to get a wireless signal? Is it because it cannot get an IP address assigned? Is it because Microsoft are trying to ping a server of theirs and it is failing? What is it!?!

And it’s not just WiFi connectivity that Microsoft stick two fingers up at the consumer with little-to-no information. I used to work with IIS (Internet Information Services, Microsoft’s version of a working web server like Apache). This incredibly crass piece of software would return the wrong error code – e.g. when a CGI application failed to execute property the server would return a 404 error (page not found) rather than a 500 error (server problem). If there’s one thing worse than returning no or little information – it is returning blatantly false information.

Conclusion? Microsoft hate people. Microsoft couldn’t give a passing thought about people. Information is not something Microsoft do. Instead they sell, market, and sell glossy interfaces. But helping you get a job done – like connecting to an ordinary WiFi router, or diagnosing why a web service isn’t working – well Microsoft will do their darnedest to make your life miserable.

WHEN YOU HAVE A CHOICE, DO NOT BUY MICROSOFT. IT IS ALMOST ALWAYS THE WRONG CHOICE.

Microsoft Mouse in Windows 7 Became Slow and Laggy

Last month, April 2014, I started to experience severe problems with my USB Microsoft Mouse (cabled) on Windows 7. Frequently it would stop responding altogether and suspending the computer and waking it up seemed to get it working again for between 2 and 10 minutes – but then it would stop working again.

I suspected my cabled mouse was getting old and dysfunctional (highly unusual for an optical mouse, but one can be unlucky). So I removed the cabled mouse and plugged in a wireless USB Microsoft Mouse. This didn’t stop working. But it suffered a different problem.

From time to time the mouse would appear “slow”. It would update on the screen maybe twice a second, or even less frequently, once per second, or pause for several seconds before responding again.

The solution in my case was to do the following. Open device manager (start menu, type “device manager”). Then expand the “Universal Serial Bus controllers” item, and right click on “Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Detection Driver (USB), left-click on “Uninstall”. You do not need to tick the box that asks to delete the drivers.

Uninstall Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Detection Driver (USB)

Uninstall Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Detection Driver (USB)

The mouse stopped working at this point. So I connected my trusty cabled mouse and I clicked “cancel” as the Microsoft Mouse detection program started running looking for special drivers for my mouse.

Turns out I have to do this every time the mouse slows down. Go to device manager, uninstall the driver, then unplug and re-plug my mouse.