newspaint

Documenting Problems That Were Difficult To Find The Answer To

VLC on Ubuntu 16.04 with NVidia Graphics Card – Divx Video Playback Blank

I attempted to play a divx-encoded video on VLC 2.2.2 running on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. The video was blank, although if, while the video was playing, I selected Video > Video Track > Disable, then select Video > Video Track > Track 1 from the menu it would display the current frame as a still image.

I opened up the messages window by selecting Tools > Messages from the menu. I then altered the Verbosity from 0 (errors) to 1 (warnings). Then I pressed play on the video for a short period to capture the warnings:

It displayed messages like:

avi warning: multiple riff -> OpenDML ?
avi warning: detected OpenDML file
avcodec info: Using NVIDIA VDPAU Driver Shared Library 384.59 Wed Jul 19 23:45:51 PDT 2017 for hardware decoding.
avcodec warning: cannot decode one frame (337 bytes)
core warning: VoutDisplayEvent 'pictures invalid'
core warning: VoutDisplayEvent 'pictures invalid'
avcodec warning: cannot decode one frame (337 bytes)
avcodec warning: cannot decode one frame (190 bytes)
avcodec warning: cannot decode one frame (190 bytes)

This led me to thinking the VDPAU driver was maybe failing.

A simple fix (although possibly not efficient) is select Tools > Preferences from the menu, select “Input / Codecs” from the icons at the top of the Simple Preferences dialog box, and change the first option, “Hardware-accelerated decoding” from “Automatic” to “Disable”. Then clicking “Save” at the bottom of the dialog box.

One response to “VLC on Ubuntu 16.04 with NVidia Graphics Card – Divx Video Playback Blank

  1. John Davies September 29, 2017 at 1:55 pm

    I had a very similar problem after an update recently ( Ubuntu Mate 16.04 ). The “Hardware-accelerated decoding” fix didn’t work but I found this forum post – https://askubuntu.com/questions/668834/vlc-media-player-is-not-displaying-video-but-audio-works – which suggests some alternatives.

    Switching to “X11 Video Output” from “Automatic” fixed the problem for me. I’ve no idea why the problem happened because the update didn’t seem to affect VLC or libavcodec.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: